Thursday, June 24, 2010

More on My Brother Lawrence

This is one of my favorite pictures of Lawrence.
I always looked up to and admired my brother. He was a great guy. Besides his intelligence and great sense of humor, he actually went out and did the things I only thought about doing. I always liked stories about people who sailed around the world or had adventures on sailing boats. He actually sailed to Norway on a big ship as a crew member. In high school, I thought about joining Vista. He actually worked for Vista as a lawyer for several Native American tribes in Nebraska.

My brother did things before they were cool. He went to college in Colorado at a time when most people I knew went to school locally. He was a birdwatcher. He took Tai Kwon Do lessons. He was a runner. He worked for the political campaign of Allard Lowenstein in NY. He was the first person I ever knew who had a jeep.

He was a hands on Dad, and he loved his family. I can't think of a better tribute than that.

My favorite family photo of Lily, Lawrence, Paula and Elena

Below are some links that my sister-in-law Paula sent me that tell some more about his life and career as a Public Defender.
http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=96850769

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/startribune/obituary.aspx?n=larry-hammerling&pid=143708242&fhid=3436

http://www.startribune.com/yourvoices/97035944.html?elr=KArks47cQiUdcOy_9cP3DiU47cQUU


I found this picture of us in the 1950's recently.
I couldn't remember when it was taken, but I love it.








This one was taken maybe 4 years ago
when John and I visited.

2 comments:

  1. Lawrence Hammerling was a dearly beloved friend and I am so sad to learn so many years hence that he left our midst. I have many photos of he, Paula, Elena, and Lily. For many many years, I carried a frog you had made that he entrusted to me. He was a joyous friend and I've often wondered where our friendship went. Now, I know. I loved him dearly. thank you for these photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words on my brother Lawrence's passing. It is so nice to hear from people who knew him.

    ReplyDelete