Thursday, March 17, 2011

The End of the World: In 5 days in 5 Ways : Part 4

Part 4: 28 Days Later
There have been many movies dealing with End of the World by Zombie Apocalypse. "Night of the Living Dead" is, of course, a classic, and then all those sequels.  "28 Days Later" is a more contemporary classic so I am using it here as an example of creepy virus infected zombies. Rage infected lab chimps are released by animal activists which then attack them and infect everyone. 28 days after this... a guy, Jim, (Cillian Murphy) wakes up from a coma in the hospital, but ...where is everybody? There's no one to celebrate his recovery from whatever. He wanders out only to be chased by horrible zombies. He meets up with some other survivors. Eventually...they hope to get to a military protection area. Is there anything WORSE than zombies? This is a must see movie. The sequel "28 Weeks Later" is also terrific.


2 comments:

  1. I liked this movie and I think you may have been one of the people to initially encourage me to watch it.

    Sorry to see DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS not here. Isn't it odd that both 28 DAYS LATER and THE WALKING DEAD start out the same way as TRIFFIDS: our protagonist wakes up in the hospital and we discover this post-apocalyptic world with him.

    Warning: remember the "LATER" in "28 DAYS LATER:" case in point -- more than once I've picked up the 28 DAYS video by mistake only to see it's a Sandra Bullock romcom! Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    I also liked day of the Triffids. It was a tough decision! I already highlighted "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" so, then I thought about the movies "Five" and "On the Beach" and "The World, the Flesh and the Devil" all classic end of the world films...

    And, you are right. I was surprised "Walking Dead" had basically the same beginning as "28 days Later" and Triffids was of course way back, with that hospital scene. All of them are great in their own way.

    If I covered end of the world TV, I'd also put Jericho in there, too.

    ReplyDelete